Thursday, February 16, 2006

Seven Things I Have Learned This Week

--M apparently has a huge noggin. Like an orange on a toothpick. (ten points if you can identify what movie that is from) A large El Salvadorian woman informed me of this at Great Clips where A was getting his hair cut. "Can I see your little baby?"she asked. I turned his infant carrier around to show her. She gasped in disbelief and her hand flew to her mouth. "Oh! Your baby! His head is HUGE! Oh, my! What a big head!" I smiled and said, "Yep! But he's tall so it all works out." Everyone in the waiting area looked at me and smiled, trying to soften the blow I think. I wasn't too broken up about it. Probably because I think his head is ginormous too.

--Ignoring the laundry does not make it go away. It in fact multiplies while you are not looking causing even more stress and work.

--It is best not to vacuum (or Dyson, as we call it in our household) while M is playing on the floor because when the vacuum starts he will start to cry and A (the two year old) will think you are going to suck him up. A will then throw his body over M to protect him from the Mean, Mean, Dysoning Mom and point his finger at her saying, "Mom! No....mine! No...MINE!!!!" in a bossy, scolding sort of way. You will have to completely stop vacuuming to calm both boys down and then spend the next 15-20 minutes assuring them that you were NOT planning to suck either of them up. Fun times.

--Eating almost an entire bag of Snickers bars in one sitting is not really the greatest idea. It will leave you feeling quite poorly.

--If you let your child run around like a banshee at your neighbor's house while you are too busy talking to pay attention, this could be the result. (And I guiltily admit that one of my first thoughts was, "Hey, I should blog this!")

--A banshee is not a mountain goat-like animal as I previously thought. According to dictionary.com it is "A female spirit in Gaelic folklore believed to presage, by wailing, a death in a family." I just checked with Greg. Apparently I am the only person in the world that didn't know this. This whole time I've been calling my little boy a banshee thinking it was an obnoxious, four-legged animal when it is in fact a languishing ghost. Funny how two things that are completely different still can both be quite accurate descriptions of my two-year-old son.

--The movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is rated PG for "Quirky Situations, Action and Mild Language." Quirky Situations?? I wasn't aware that Quirky Situations could get you a PG rating. You really do learn something everyday.


So there you have it. My wisdom for the week. Have a great weekend!

11 comments:

Rachelle said...

LOL about dysoning up the kids. And M's head and the freak out lady. And my laundry pile keeps growing. I don't mind washing it. It's the folding that is an issue. We haven't folded in about a month. Mondo laundry pile in our house.

Alicia said...

Okay, I adore that little M and have held him and see him and I have never once noticed him to have a big head! She's crazy.

I call my kids banshees too. I also was not aware of what a banshee really is. But I also didn't think it was a 4 legged animal. I just liked the saying.

My kids love the vacuum...too much. They chase it around and completely get in the way.

Heather said...

Emily, you crack me up. LOVE the Dyson part. lol. My oldest daughter used to be TERRIFIED of the vacuum. lol

But at least you know that A will give his life to protect M!!!!

Lei said...

It's SO I MARRIED AN AXE MURDERER! :) :) :)

Amber said...

Waa!! Lei got it first!

"it's so big it's like a planet, it's got it's own sputnik"

ROFL

QueenMeadow said...

My kids never liked the vacuum either, pretty funny actually ;)

I totally giggled when I read about your version of a banshee, tee hee.

Kathryn Thompson said...

I love fat-headed babies so much. It just makes them so squidgeable and loveable. When people tell me that Magoo has a big round head, I always take it as a compliment.

JD said...

CUTE kiddys!! histerical about the guilt blog part. Just starting the bloggin stuff myself I am always looking at life as OHHHHH that would be great to post!!!

Carrie said...

Your kids are super cute. I keep getting comments about my 1-1/2-year-old and how he is finally growing into his head. What, should I take that as a compliment or not? All my kids have big heads. They do not have a genetic fighting chance. They will never be able to wear cheesy hats. We have big heads on both sides of the family.

mommy to six J's said...

O.k. the head thing is so funny.My youngest has a big head and i hear about it all of the time.When he was born the doc did a study to see if his big head came from his dad or was there something wrong with him.Turns out it is his dads fault.
Char

Unknown said...

Isn't that great how loving your babies are to one another! Make sure you write that in your journal so you can remind them when they are fighting 8 and 10 year olds. :)