Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Valentine's Day, Ya'll!

This morning as I was getting ready I tried to think of our most memorable Valentine's Days. And the winners are:

February 13-14, 1998---The Valentines Day of Firsts
Greg and I had been dating for almost two months. The night before V-day he professed his undying love for me for the first time but in French so I had no idea what he said. After much pestering he gazed lovingly into my eyes and said, "It means.... 'I love you'." My heart melted. I asked him if he meant it and he said he did. I said it back and we kissed until we were rudely interrupted by his roommate who told us that "It was his room too!" Whatever, dude.

The next day Greg took me to his home state of Idaho for the first time and it was then that I realized that everything did not turn black and white when you crossed the border into the Gem State. We went to Preston and ate at a burger joint with a bunch of old leering farmers. We bought a lotto ticket for the first time at La Tienda. Which, coincidentally is the same store in which Napolean shops. We are in such good company.

That night Greg and his roommate made me and my friend dinner. Homemade Chicken Cordon Bleu and Ribbon Jello, or so I have been told. The lights were dimmed so dark that we could not see the actual ribbons. But it tasted like Jello so that was good enough for me. We went to the USU Sweetheart Dance, which was really fun. We danced flamboyantly to "My Heart Will Go On" secretly mocking the couples who were clinging to each other as if they were going to be sunk with the Titanic. We stayed up until 4am just talking and looking deeply into each others eyes, then woke up early to drive to my cousin's missionary farewell. Ah, young love.

February 14, 1999--Our First Valentine's Day as a Married Couple
I spent weeks in anticipation for our first lawfully wedded V-day. Greg set the expectations WAY too high on our first Valentine's Day and I was expecting something big. He came home from school with a pot of yellow mums because "they wouldn't die like roses would." I said thanks, acted grateful then excused myself to the bathroom where I cried my eyes out for 20 minutes. A pot of mums? That is what you put on someone's grave. Is this all was to him now? We get married and all the romance goes out the window? I calmed myself down enough to leave the bathroom and we had a nice, quiet Valentine's day.

We "had a discussion" about it a couple of days later and he realized the error of his ways, although he didn't understand it. I still don't think he understands it. After being married for seven years though I have come to the realization that it is the thought that counts and really, I was being petty. I do think they should put a warning on the potted plants though around this time of year: ATTENTION ALL NEWLY MARRIED HUSBANDS: Do not buy your wife this plant for Valentine's Day even if it IS cheaper and the more sensible option. Come back in a couple of years when the thrill is gone. By that time she will most likely be grateful that you even acknowledged her in some small way.

February 14, 2006--Yup, Today.
I gave Greg a picture of our initials carved into a tree. My friend Sunny photoshopped it for me. He liked it, although he opened it upside down and was at a loss trying to figure out why I had gotten him a framed picture of a wooden duck. He got up early and picked up bagels and juice for breakfast. When I came downstairs he had flowers and See's Nuts and Chews for me. Score there, they are my fav. We got a babysitter for the evening but then decided that we would much rather be with family today so we are all going out to dinner with his sisters and the kids. I think it is a fabulous idea. What better way to celebrate Valentine's Day than with some of the Valentines in our lives.

Happy "Love" Day everyone. I hope it's a fantastic one for you.

9 comments:

Rachelle said...

LOL at the wooden duck for today! And I love that pic. Gotta love his hair. Happy V-day!

sweet mama entropy said...

Okay - the duck mistake made me chuckle loudly, as did the mishap with the mums. I feel the same way about carnations - they're almost insulting, as flowers go. Congrats on having what sounded like a great "love" day this year.

Heather said...

My hubby got the same picture (surprise surprise!) and I hung it in our hotel room this last weekend on our trip. He never did notice it so I finally had to point it out to him. lol.

I loved the wooden duck! lol
And your husband looked SO YOUNG in that picture!!!! (I'm guessing you've never been told that before, right?)

Lei said...

Hey Em, on our first married V-Day (iow, the first one his mom didn't help him make a beautiful arrangement), I got mums with half the heads cut off! Not even kidding. And the Stop-n-Go price sticker was still on them. Boy, we've come a long way. And I take ALL the credit, lol.

Patti said...

Mums! I love it. Totally sounds like something my dh would do.

The picture idea is so good! Can I steal it for next year? I was thinking our initials in the sand

Kathy said...

cute blog! i just found it, and i'll be back*.

*don't be afraid, i mean that it a good and wholesome-non stalker way!

Unknown said...

I think its a great way to spend Valentines! We had fun eating with our girls too! :)

Alicia said...

ROFL at the wooden duck...

My dh will be getting the same pic...if I ever get it printed.

Amy Pennington said...

I laughed so hard about you dancing to the titanic song. My best guy friend and I used to do the same thing. We were so wild and crazy. Thanks for helping me remember those "good times".