Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Caution: I May Throw Up

It happened last night and I'm still feeling sick about it.

I was busily loading the dishwasher when all of the sudden I saw something move on the counter in front of me. I looked a little closer...EW!!!!!! It was a slug!!! A nasty, disgusting, slimy slug was crawling on my kitchen counter! I totally freaked out and Greg came running in on his white horse to save me. I pointed in the general direction of the slug with one hand, the other hand holding my mouth closed so that I didn't scream or harf everywhere. He valiantly ran out of the room and then came back in with one of my black boots.

Then I REALLY started gagging. "Do NOT squish that thing with my boot! It will squirt everywhere and..." I was gagging way too much to talk at that point. I pointed to the paper towels and told him to put it in the paper towel and then get rid of it that way. I can't even imagine the amount of cleanser and elbow grease I would have to go through if he squished it on the counter.

So he gathered it up in the paper towel and took it out to the garbage in the garage. What a Manly Man for saving me. He came back in and we spent the next 5 minutes trying to figure out where it came from. It is the middle of winter in Idaho, not the greatest season for snails, slugs and the like. Then I saw it: The beautiful primrose plant that my visiting teachers brought to me on the last day of January with an "I'm sorry we didn't get to see you this month" note attached to it. I must admit I felt a little guilty but I dropped that thing in the trash like yesterday's newspaper. Buh-Bye. And don't be bringing anymore creepy crawlies into my house.

17 comments:

Rachelle said...

Mark is my bug squisher too. And I have a new word for my vocabulary thanks to you - harf. Is that a combo of barf and hurl? I like it!

emlouisa said...

Harf, Yarf, Hurl, Toss Cookies, Vomit, Vomitar, Barf, Chuck, Upchuck, Throw Up, Yack, Blow Chunks and finally, Spew (if you need to spew, spew into this...a cookie to anyone who knows where that came from).

When you have morning sickness as bad as I did you come up with all sorts of creative words for harfing.

Alicia said...

Ew. Slugs are just...not normal.

And Wayne's World. Where's my cookie?

emlouisa said...

So CG--are you still okay with the fact that you let your son eat the quesadilla that fell on my kitchen floor today? I never told you about the slug. Bwahahaha!

You'll get your cookie. Quit pestering me about it.

Lee said...

EWWWWWWWW!! That is so much worse than my spider!! I would hate to have that squished on my counter also. Totally hilarious that your VT's brought it to you.. think they planted it?

Alicia said...

The slug wasn't on the floor...Just don't let him eat off your counters ;).

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

Well, I would rather it got squished with my boot than eaten by my daughter. Yes, my daughter has ate them. Twice.

Andrea said...

well i'm glad you weren't at my house the other day when i woke up to my kitchen floor covered in maggots.
I don't mind slugs i think there kinda cute!

Andrea said...

Oh and that quote is from Wayne's World. My dh and i used it all the time! lol

Anonymous said...

ew ew ew...

now, really. don't yarf. but i caught anna putting a dead dried up snail in her mouth a couple weeks ago...

vomit vomit.

Lei said...

harf. Is that a combo of barf and hurl? I like it!
--I thought maybe it was a typo. Lol at your terminology Em!

Elozia Marie said...

Eww, Eww, Eww!!!

Reminds me of when my VTers brought me peaches and fruit flies. But, I must say a slug is just EWW!!!

Peter said...

Creepy and Crawly, that is my speciality. In some circles, I am known as "The Bug Man". If any of you ladies have any question I will be happy to answer them.
It is just a mollusk, without a shell even. I am glad your husband was there to save you.

MusicalMom said...

We've had slugs in my garden for the past two years. Ugh. I'm ready to go out and buy some beer. (For the slugs, silly.)

Tigersue said...

Just wanted you to know that I added your site to my LDS women bloggers site.
http://ldswomenblogs.blogspot.com/

Amber said...

I stepped on a slug once- even better? I was wearing socks- which believe me- makes it worse.

Jenn said...

Just saying hi from the Des Mamans webring

PS. ew ew ew...I actually stepped on one with barefeet in my HALLWAY???!!!