Thursday, March 30, 2006

So I'm Trying To Get In Shape And Stuff...

This morning I got out of the house super-early (8 am, don't judge me. That is really early for me!) and went walking/running. My sister challenged me to race with her and my mom in a 5k in July. Turns out that THAT kind of motivation is even better than Prague Mom motivation. Go figure.

I'm doing the Couch to 5k Aggressive Run Program, which guarantees that if I follow their schedule and all the rules I will be 5k-ready in 18 weeks. I'm thinking I can handle that, unless I pull a hamstring or something in the process. We'll see.

I'm currently on Week 2 of the schedule, which means I walk for 27 minutes and run for 3 minutes. So far it has been good. Today I ran and didn't even want to throw up or lay down in the fetal position, so that's an improvement.

So things are going well in the fitness area of my life. Still haven't stopped eating french fries but I'm hoping that I'll magically lose weight without doing that. A girl can have dreams, can't she? I'm remembering to bring my iPod, which is a terrific motivation. Nothing like jamming to Chris Brown's "Run It" while huffin' and a puffin'.

There is one thing that is really bothering me about this whole exercising outside business. It's the worms. Yep, you heard right. Earthworms. They cover the sidewalks and pavement everywhere I go. I tried dodging them today, to no avail. There are just too darn many of them! I had no choice but to just squish them with my shoes and I was sick to my stomach about the whole thing. (and yet I still didn't throw up. Hooray for me!) I hate all things creepy and crawly, except for maybe Slimey the Worm from Sesame Street. He is too cute to hate, and doesn't really seem Slimey at all. It's probably one of those joke nicknames like calling someone "Tiny" when they are 7 feet tall.

Anyway, back to the sidewalk-hogging worms. They stink. I told Greg that today and he laughed at me, then probably filed that statement away in the "I Married A Crazy Person" part of his brain. I really do think they stink though! You know that earth-right-after-rain smell? It isn't just the wet ground. It's the stinkin' earthworms. I thought about picking one up today to check, but that would involve touching one, something I am not willing to do.

So what's your thoughts? Do they stink or am I crazy? Post a comment and let it be known. I promise I won't be saddened by your mocking, if it has to come to that.

17 comments:

lackrik said...

EWWW! I totally remember worms all over our driveways and roads after rainstorms when I lived back east. Just nasty!

Good luck with the workouts! You are my motivator.

Andrea said...

i don't think they smell. But then i have never taken the time to do it. Next time i see a worm i'll smell it for you. Creepy crawlies don't bother me one bit. :)

Rachelle said...

You're just crazy. ;) I don't think they smell, but they are gross. You go girl!

Katy said...

Just come run with me -- they must scrape the worms off the sidewalk here or something because I haven't seen any in my country!:)

sheri said...

Oh how I miss the worms. Here we have millions of snails...shells and all! A much larger crunch ;)
But it is suppose to rain this weekend...I'll be sure to smell an earthworm just for you.

Stacy said...

Yes, they STINK!!!

And way to go on your work-out! I wish I could run...........

Kristen said...

I am with you---THEY STINK! Earth worms totally creep me out, too. I hate it when they crawl out from under the ground after rain and infest the sidewalks. So gross. I could do without worms.

Alicia said...

I just think you have a serious problem and should see help for your earthworm hating issues. What kind of Lib are you anyway? Earthworms are people too.

Melzie said...

Love the link. I'm gonna try it! As for the worms. UGH! The kiddo is collecting them up in his box. Wants them to stay in his room *sigh*

Unknown said...

LOL! Yes they do stink! You've got motivation girl! I am wayyyy to lazy for any kind of excercise. But i shouldn't be. I commend you for your strong effort. maybe I should feed off of it and start my own regiment......naahhhh.

Pamela said...

Good Luck! I hope you succeed. Sorry about the worms..lol

Meemer said...

yeah, they do stink. Good job doing the exercise thing!

Anonymous said...

you could run in the street instead. but um, watch out for cars. and also, i love that smell. but i do have to commiserate with the 8am being the buttcrack of dawn. i'm a 9am or bust sleeper.

Lei said...

Oh, how they stinketh!

Becky said...

Do it! Do it! Pick it up and take a whiff!! ;)

QueenMeadow said...

I don't mind worms, if you ever visit I'll even pick them up and move them out of your way for you ;)

Yay on exercising, you rock!!

Heather said...

So maybe this wouldn't be the time to tell you about our experiment last summer with a worm farm?

lol. You crack me up.