Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Another One Bites The Dust

I don't think I have mentioned this before, but my husband is working on his Master's degree in Electrical Engineering. He started a couple years ago and has been slowly getting closer to The Piece of Paper, one class at a time. He now has one year and one quarter left and we are both giddy with excitement. Well, giddy as you could be when you are so. friggin'. sick. of. school. and all it entails.

Currently he is taking the Advanced Compiling Techniques course. I have no idea what Advanced Compiling Techniques are. I do not ask either. I made the mistake of asking what he was learning once and understood only 25% of the words that came out of his mouth. Those words were: the, and, is, are & computer. The rest was Geek language. And I unfortunately don't speak a lick of Geek. All I know about his Advanced Compiling Techniques class is it involves a lot of late-night homework sessions, really boring lectures and nearly-impossible-to-pass tests.

So Monday was finals day. Greg diligently studied all weekend long, breaking only to eat and sleep. Okay, so I'm exaggerating. He did study hard though since this was a Make It Or Break It type of test. He didn't do so well on the midterm (that's being generous) and was deathly afraid of not doing so well on the final. Deathly afraid for the following reasons: 1) Taking this class twice would be like going to the dentist. He LOATHES the dentist. 2) Neither of us are hip on the idea of reimbursing his employer $4,000, the price of tuition for ONE CLASS at the prestigious school he is attending.

That's right. $4,000. We were both a little apprehensive come test time.

I spent the day visiting a friend, but crossing my toes and fingers and silently praying that he was doing well. He called when he was finished. The test sucked. It was harder than he thought it would be and he wasn't sure at all how he did.

We thought we were in for a long couple of weeks while the tests were graded by a couple disgruntled teaching assistants. The depression was starting to seep in. We didn't end up having to wait two weeks though, grades were posted yesterday. So sorry, teaching assistants. I apologize for calling you disgruntled.

He got a B.

HOORAY!!! I jumped up from my computer chair and did the Happy Dance. He was happy too, but I can tell it annoys him that he got a B. This is where we are different, he and I. I would have LOVED to get B's in school. He never got below an A in high school. The state college we attended was not much different, he was always over-achieving.

Being a great dad to two kids, a fantastic husband, working full time and being a scout leader all while going to this fancy schmancy $1,200-a-credit university makes studying and test taking a bit hard sometimes. In my ever-so-important opinion, when a person does their best in so many other areas it's okay to get an occasional B. Just not a C-. We ain't giving no $4,000 to nobody.

Another one down, five more to go, honey. There's a Piece of Paper and a light at the end of this tunnel!

13 comments:

Rachelle said...

Yay for a B! The never ending road of school is so not fun. We're just embarking on that long adventure. Yay for Greg!

ShelahBooksIt said...

Yay for your dh!!!!

lackrik said...

That's great!!!! Bet you can't wait to be done!

Amber said...

YAY for DH!!

Anonymous said...

Wahoo! That is awesome.

We are right there with ya, too. School bites. :P
(Well until you get bumped into a whole new income bracket, just because of that piece of paper ;) )

Anonymous said...

Hey Em, you're good entertainment!

Vanessa said...

Yay-hay! My dh has a super duty test coming up...in August! And he's been studying for it since last fall. Needless to say, we're going to be glad when it's over.

Alicia said...

Yay for B's! I'd be thrilled!!

Kristen said...

A "B" in a masters level Engineering course would be cause for celebration! Congrats to the hubby! I can see why you are ready for it to be over!

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Congrats! We are one year from that Master's in EE, ourselves. I only understand 25% or less, myself. My dad's an EE, so I'm used to it.

JD said...

Goood Job!! huuuuuraaaay!!

Lei said...

congrats to him!

Lee said...

Hooray!! That is terrific. I bet you are so ready for him to be done.