Thursday, June 08, 2006

Five Things I Have Learned This Week.

---I am not cool with stepping on cold, wet noodles when I have bare feet. Really people. It's disgusting. And I know you know what I am talking about. You are busy in the kitchen and all the sudden, Ew. There is something slimey on your foot. What the heck is it????? You freak out, thinking that maybe it's a worm or some other type of creepy crawly thing. You realize that it is just a noodle but it is still gross. Ew! Since Mini-Man is in the "Throw Everything Off Of My Tray" eating stage the stepping on food thing is happening with regularity. I hate it. I hate cleaning the floor fifty times a day, I hate when I DON'T clean it because it looks awful and I step on stuff. And really, is there a good way to clean wet noodles off the floor? Sweeping them is impossible because they stick. They leave streaks-o-noodle across the floor. Today I resorted to picking them up one by one. A good solution, but only when I have 3 hours and 25 minutes to pick up noodles. My kid throws a lot of noodles. When is this stage over again???

---Never trim a bush alone. Or at least take a step back while trimming, maybe even a deep breath every now and then. Our flowering cherry bush needed trimming. It was HUGE and I was afraid we were going to have an Audrey II on our hands. No one likes an Audrey II.
I went a little overboard. My poor, poor seven-foot-tall bush is now about two feet tall and consists of branches. No leaves, just branches. I am told by someone wise that it will grow back. I'm praying it will because not only am I feeling guilty, I'm feeling stupid. Even too embarrassed to post a picture. Poor, poor bush.

---It is time for a new look. Not only on my blog, but on ME. Tuesday I went in for a haircut. I told my hairstylist I was tired of my hair, I have too much of it and I need something new. I told her I didn't care what she did, just make it look good. "Do you trust me?" she said. GULP. "Yes," I replied. "Do you care if it is short?" she says. "Um...no." She turned my chair so I couldn't see in the mirror and began hacking away. I watched my hair fall into big mounds on the floor. Tons of it. I tried not to be nervous. She finished up and turned me around. I liked it. I still like it.

Before and After

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



The only thing I'm worried about now is that I won't be recognized. DYM told me that the blogGirls knew who I was when they first saw me because of my 'shroom like head of hair. Okay, she didn't actually say 'shroomlike hair but we all knew that is what she meant.

---For a real workout, use your kids. Greg left for work at an extremely early time on Wednesday. (8:30am. I know. We suck.) so I had to take the kids with me when I went running. No problem, I thought. I can totally do the 24-minutes-in-a-row thing that I've got going on this week, even with kids in tow. (24 minutes without stopping? GO, ME!!! WAHOO!) I have a nice, light double jogger but DANG. I was winded even before I got up to a run. I ran for about 5 minutes before I had to give up. I'm thinking that after I can do the 25-minute-run for a couple of weeks I might start taking the kids with me. Then when I actually run the 5k it would be CAKE. But, maybe not. I kinda like running sans kids. It's a stress reliever and I don't have to spend the whole time feeling guilty for cranking my iPod to the point that I can't hear when they talk to me. *insert embarrassed emoticon here*

---I am not as smart as I have led people to believe. Greg reads magazines that say things like this: "While it may appear that the capacitance is between the two foils, it is actually between the anode foil and the electrolyte. The positive plate is the anode foil; the dielectric is the insulating aluminum oxide on the anode foil; the true negative plate is the conductive electrolyte; and the cathode foil merely connects to the electrolyte."

.....
......
....
....
....
.....
....
...
...

Who what huh? Sorry. That was so boring that I fell asleep. Thank you Electronic Products Magazine for reminding me to get some better reading material for when I'm bored in the bathroom. A PBK catalog perhaps? And I have to wonder. Does Greg really enjoy reading that or does he just put it in there so that I think he is smart. Hmm...

So there you have it. All the wisdom I have gained this week and then some. Hope you have a fantabulous weekend full of excitement and wonder.

15 comments:

Valarie said...

Add me to the list who likes it.

My trick for picking up wet noodles, rice, couscous, etc. is to use a slightly wet washcloth to gather it all into a pile. Sopping wet clothes just make a bigger mess and make sure it's a washcloth with some texture to it. Ones crocheted by grandmas are perfect. I've even been known to break out a bathroom washcloth or a whole dishtowel for a big mess of couscous. Sheesh, why didn't I think of that one when I was wracking my brain to participate in WFMW?

Anonymous said...

OH you are too funny!! Love the hair!! I am going in for a new do myself.

beckylou said...

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/85203/442802/117.html

We have a Blue's Clues one, and it's very handy.

beckylou said...

Crumb, the link doesn't work, but go to www.onestepahead.com and look under bibs and mats. It's like $11. Perfect solution, imo. ;)

Kathryn Thompson said...

You ARE a shroom! :) Nice hair. I like both cuts but the second one looks very especially hip. I believe he just wants you to think he's smart. That's why Dan writes code, to impress me.

Anonymous said...

i love the hair!

noodle tip: let em dry out. them no problem.

Missy said...

I love the new hair! So chique.

Ick, on the wet noodles. I have a mini wet/dry vac, that I use to suck up all items discarded by my world-class pitchers in training. My 5 and 3 year old even take turns sucking up dinner from the floor with it. That part is a perk!

Lee said...

I love your hair!! You look awesome.
You are so funny girl!

sheri said...

Yer so stylin! You may have motivated me to go make a change. I enjoyed your post. As always

Alicia said...

Soooo Hot!

25 minutes? Really? Geez. I stink.

Anonymous said...

You need a dog...there is absolutely no food on our floor! Loved the hair!

Lei said...

No fair... the pixie bangs look cute on you, too. What is wrong with my head?

Andrea said...

Wet noodles are the worst!!Love the new hair! and my dh reads things like that too...even worse is that he talks like that so half the time i have no idea what he's talking about. Speak ENGLISH please!!!!

Rachau said...

I love you new hair cut.You look so good!

Anonymous said...

Hey, EM!
I agree with itybtyfrog...you need a dog! Buddy eats everything Maddie lets loose and then some. I adore your new do! I've seen all haircuts on you and this is the best yet! Greg must have gone nuts when he saw you!!! Miss you much, but so happy to at least have your blog to keep me company!
Talk to you soon...XOXO Mich