Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Tiny Morsel of My "Vacation" With the Kids

Chain Reactions. They lived it, they loved it. An example from 2:53 am on Friday:


A-Boy (still asleep): Cough, cough.

Mini-Man: WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

A-Boy: Who, What, HUH?

Mini-Man: WAAAAAHHHH!!!!

A-Boy: WAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

Mommy: Shhhh. Go back to sleep!

They do not go back to sleep. I go to Mini-Man's crib to comfort him. He is inconsolable and I am EXHAUSTED so I bring him to bed with me. I kick something warm and squishy as I am crawling back into bed. A-Boy pops up and smiles at me.

A-Boy (who has NO clue how to whisper, especially at 2 am): HI MOMMA!!!

Mommy: Shhhh. Go back to sleep!

From the next room: WAAAAHH!!!!!!

A-Boy: BABY J! BABY J!

Mommy: Yes, you woke him up. Shhh. Go back to sleep!

I lay down with Mini-Man and attempt to get him to sleep so that I can sleep too. I have a boy on each side of me. A-Boy pops his little head up over my shoulder.

A-Boy: HI BABY!!

Mini-Man: Goo Goo. Giggle Giggle.

Mommy: Shhh. Go back to sleep!

They both lay back down. Mini-Man pops his head up over my shoulder.

Mini-Man: Giggle Giggle. Babble Babble.

He attempts to crawl over me in an effort to poke his older brother.

A-Boy: HA, HA. HA, HA! MOMMA! BABY CUTE!

Mommy: No, he is NOT cute. Mini-Man, NO. Shhh. Go back to sleep!

They both lay down. Less than a minute later:

From the next room: WAAAAH!!!!

A-Boy: TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE STAR! WAA WA WA WA WA WA WA.

Mommy: A-Boy, NO!!!! Shhh. Go back to sleep!

It is silent. Ahh. Finally. I can sleep.

Two minutes later:

Mini-Man: WAAAAAHH!!!

A-Boy: LENNY, TUCK AND MING-MING TOO! WHAT'S GONNA WORK? TEEEEEWORK!

From the next room: WAAAAAHHH!!!!

A-Boy: BABY J! BABY J!!!

Mommy (teeth clenched at this point): SHHH! GO TO SLEEP!!!

This goes on for about 2 1/2 hours. I'm thinking that they'll at least sleep in, right? WRONG. At 5:51 am:

A-Boy (two inches away from my face): MOMMA!!!!!! MILK, PLEASE! MOMMA!

Mommy: Shhh. Go to sleep.

Mini-Man: WAAAAAAAHHH!

From the next room: WAAAAAHH!!

A-Boy: BABY J! BABY J! MILK, PLEASE MOMMA?

Mini-Man: Giggle Giggle. Babble Babble.

A-Boy: MINI-MAN! YAY! HI MINI-MAN! BABY J! BABY J! MILK, MOM! PLEASE?

Repeat this nearly 6 consecutive nights, throw in a couple snotty noses and some necessary middle-of-the-night DVD viewings by my 11 month old and you will have pretty much summed up my slumberless nights. Other than being tired we have had a fantabulous time! We are ready to get home though. We are heading back tomorrow, which is a good thing since tomorrow is the day I run out of undies.

Did I mention I handled things just fine? No crying or nothin'. I didn't even have the urge. Take THAT, rude person who said I couldn't handle it.

18 comments:

Kristen said...

Sounds, um, relaxing! ;-) Glad you've had a good time!

Valarie said...

It doesn't sound so bad the way you're telling it. At least, it has me laughing. It also makes a high picthed "hi!" stretched out to three syllables at 6:30 sound not nearly as bad as I thought it was this morning.

I'm glad you're having a great trip and I hope your drive home tomorrow goes well.

smart mama said...

totally had one of those the other day at 530 am

Rachelle said...

Oh. My. Goodness. You seriously need a nap.

Andrea said...

ROFL!!! Sorry but that is funny. Hope everything gets back to normal when you get home!

Nettie said...

Welcome home! I hope you can manage to get some sleep now! I love vacationing, but it is so nice to get home to your own beds and crib!

Amber said...

I'm glad you survived. Vacationing with kids (dh or not) is never a vacation- still tons of work. My favorite kinds of vacations are the ones where dh and I go somewhere and leave the kids home.

Missy said...

I hear by officailly name you, Supermom!

Katy said...

Pleeeaaasssseeee don't fall asleep on the drive home because your kids are totally unconcious and asleep from the very strenuous week away!:)

Anonymous said...

What a trip! I'm so you did okay. I bet A boy and Little Man missed their daddy, and you too for that matter! I can't wait to see you tonight... please wear clean undies though!!

Anonymous said...

Should be "I'm so GLAD you did okay!" That's what I get for typing while holding a kid!

beth said...

Wow. Exhausting. Being away from home, as lovely as it is sometimes, really does take serious energy now. I hope you have a safe (and quiet) trip back.

Rachau said...

wow welcome home.Sounds like you need to go away just by yourself!

Blackeyedsue said...

Isn't it interesting how they always feed off of each other. It's like a ping-pong tournament.

I hope when you get home you can take off your cape and supermom tights and take a LONG, well-deserved nap.

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Are you home yet????

Lei said...

Wowzas... thta is what vacation is all about, lol. Ya done good, Em. Ya done good!!!!!!

sheri said...

I don't know whether to admire you, cry for you or giggle AT you. I'll do all 3. Welcome home!

Alicia said...

Have you recovered yet? I hope you are doing lots of sleeping in this weekend!