Friday, May 19, 2006

Five Things I Have Learned This Week

---You should always check your receipt before leaving the store. This is how I realized that the cashier charged $52.46 for those Tomatoes-On-The-Vine. I knew they were pricey suckers, but I didn’t realize they were THAT pricey! I examined them to make sure they weren’t dipped in gold or diamond encrusted. Sure enough, they were regular tomatoes. Not even fab-looking tomatoes, just normal, most-likely-very-mealy store-bought tomatoes. It turns out that the cashier entered the wrong code so I got my money back AND got free tomatoes. You can’t beat free tomatoes! (Well, you could but it would be rather messy)

---No one will spontaneously combust if we don’t turn on the TV. I decided that my two guys were watching WAY too much television. I am embarrassed to say that most of the time it was on from 7 am until 10 or 11 am, depending on when Mini-Man got up from his nap. And that isn’t counting watching Sesame Street or Signing Time in the afternoon.

So Tuesday we didn’t turn it on. They played with their toys ALL MORNING LONG. A-Boy (who I was worried about the most) didn’t seem to care at all! My ten month old though, he cared. He saw the remote on the floor, gimpy-crawled for it (he has yet to master the crawling thing), and began punching buttons, checking the TV every so often to see if Dora had magically appeared. She didn’t. He cried. It was then that I realized that the limiting the TV thing was good. And I am proud to say that except for one day they have only watched 1 to 1 ½ hours a day. (And trust me, it was needed that day so the children avoided The Royal Freak Out from Mommy.)

---Quaker Oatmeal To Go bars are fantabulous. It’s like eating a big, thick oatmeal cookie for breakfast without the guilt since it is not CALLED an oatmeal cookie. Plus I felt full for a long time after eating it. Thumbs up to the Quaker Man.

---Our neighborhood pool is open! Nooooo!!!!! I have lost NO weight, I still have to squeeze in my swimming suit. Last year was heavenly because I was pregnant and it was okay that I looked flabby and misshapen. This year? I still look pregnant, yet there is no baby inside of this protrusion of a belly. I don’t wanna go! It’s one thing to go to the Y or the beach where you don’t know anyone, but to go to the neighborhood pool with the likes of Prague Mom? Stress!!

I still go running three times a week. I just can’t lose the weight because…honestly? I enjoy starchy, sugary, deep-fried goodness way too much. *sigh* I guess I can't have it both ways.

---I get to meet some fellow bloggers this weekend! I am super excited about the whole situation. A little nervous since I don’t know them at all, but I am bringing Taffi and Alicia for my protection just in case they turn out to be psychos. That makes me feel a little better. It’s always stressful meeting new people, especially those you know from the internet. I will return and report, hopefully with pictures worthy of blackmail.

Have a great weekend!



6 comments:

Alicia said...

You're bringing me for protection?? I was bringing YOU for protection!!!

And the pool's open!????????

Valarie said...

When I knew for sure we were watching too much tv- I turned on a cd of kids' songs and he kept tapping the tv waiting for the picture to show up (I'd hid the remote as he knows just what button to push).

Nettie said...

I really hope Taffi and Alicia are tough chicks. We want you safely returned so we can read more of your fun posts! (Oh, and if your stat counter shows someone lurked on your blog for HOURS today. That was me. Darn interuptions!)

Anonymous said...

mmm, you know what i love? the quaker Breakfast cookies. yeah, they really are called that, and i love them! everyone else must, too, since the store is always out of them!

Brooke said...

Hey, I had so much fun with you guys last night. I'm glad everyone kept their psychosis to themselves.

c said...

We disconnected the tv totally except for the connection with the VCR/DVD player. My son still watches videos sometimes but those seem much healthier than the stuff on cable and networks. Really, if he has down time and seems bored it only lasts minutes before his active little brain comes up with something to do with himself. I think it's healthy for kids to have boring time so that they find out how to kick-start themselves into an activity.