Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Help!!! My Son Is Constantly Being Attacked By A Weasel!

Or at least that's what we THINK is going on. Why else would he scream and yell like that. What did you say? It could be his teeth? Oh. We gave up on the "It's probably his teeth" thing two months ago when he cried for a full WEEK, hand in mouth, drooling everywhere, refusing to eat. Nary a tooth popped. We were not happy.

But the Attacking of the Weasel has been happening quite frequently lately and since we try not to let any four-legged creatures enter our abode it is probably his teeth. Yup, we are back to that.

I DID pry open his mouth long enough today to see white on his gums so our tooth theory is quite likely to be correct. And that is good since it took me a good 15 minutes, some duct tape and a pair of pliers to get his mouth open. (I am TOTALLY kidding! I couldn't find the duct tape and the pliers were outside...) Unfortunately it is one of his canines and since he has no other teeth on the top he is going to look like a hillbilly. I'm praying that the other teeth are on their way shortly so that we don't have to sell him to a group of carnies. We want him to fit in, you know.

Anyway, so we are dealing with the teething thing here with its accompanying wails of pain and discomfort. I am hating every second of it. Shouldn't there be an easier way for babies to get teeth than sheer torture? What did they do to deserve this? Nothing, I tell you. A big fat nothing. Does this kid look like someone that needs to be in pain? It is not fair at all. Not to him and definitely NOT to his mommy.

So gimme your tips, other moms. What do you do to alleviate sore gums?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Popcicles in the bathtub... They were a good idea until my brother brought to my attention that they could have peed in the water! Yuck! Good luck!

Valarie said...

yeah, wet waschloths were a favorite, but my weird kid liked them all the time, not just when teething. We've been working on molars for months now.

Anonymous said...

I know it sounds mean, but I swear, as soon as you feel the tooth pressing on the gum, rub on a little ora-gel, wait a second until he stops grossing out, then push hard but quick on the tooth to get it through. I did it on accident with my oldest - she was fighting me putting my fingers in her mouth, I lost my balance and whadda know...a eensy second later, she was grinning through the tears. It popped like a zit. Must have been alot of pressure behind it, because she instantly felt better. Do wait until the tooth is close to the surface. Don't know what the doctors would say about this method, but it worked on all 3 of my girls.

Nettie said...

I hear your pain! My Elsie is working on molars. Even though she's my 4th, I have no magic solutions. Just ditto to what everyone else has said. Although the popping it like a zit is freaking me out a bit! Oh, and frozen bagels and a dose of ibuprofen at bedtime. And may that cute smile be toothy asap!

Alicia said...

Poor M! That's a question I have for God when I die. Why must babies suffer so much to get teeth they will just lose in a few years? I like to drug my kid. I give them motrin & tylenol & teething tablets all at the same time and it always seemed to work for us.

Anonymous said...

poor M! Teething is no fun! I think applemom's idea is what I'll be trying on Miles... that is, if he ever decides to have teeth.

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nicole said...

I am having comment issues let me try one more time...

Ah poor M, Mason got both of his upper teeth on the sides before the middle ones he looked like a vampire for quite awhile (here's a picture if you don't believe me ), but eventually the others came in too. I don't know what helps...Sorry.

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I have no ideas for you but HOLY CRAP that kid is cute!

Rachelle said...

So sorry about teething fun. Drugs. That's what works for me (both baby and myself). Drug em up. Good luck!

Lei said...

Hyland's tablets work quite well! So does a litle chloriseptic on a q-tip (then swab the swollen area).
Lol on the hillbilly look.

Katy said...

Alcohol. As in the drinking kind. For the whole family.

(OK, really, I just use motrin & tylenol around the clock, rotating every 3 hours)

emlouisa said...

Okay, you guys are too funny. Right now he is doped up on ibuprofen and is rather quiet. Okay, you caught me. It's naptime and he's asleep.

I tried Applemom's suggestion though, rubbed orajel, then pushed on it hard. He looked at me with fierce betrayal in his eyes and wailed for a good 15 minutes before I got him calmed down. I felt bad. And the tooth didn't pop, so I put him in pain for nothing. Bad, bad mommy.

I am planning to try otter pops if I can get to the store today.

thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming!

sheri said...

OH man! I am so not looking forward to this part of babyhood again. I guess you've received good advice so far. Hopefully it will come through quickly and all will be back to normal at your house again. (well, "normal" may be pushing it a bit)
And I agree w/Char...dang, that kid is cute!