Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Blog Train Sounding Louder...

.....Glide On The Blog Train! Seriously, who doesn't get that song stuck in their head for days at a time? Oh. You don't listen to the Best Hits of the Sixties and Seventies eight hours a day like I do. Hmm.

What's WRONG with you?

So I have been thinking lately about blogging and the whole internet thang. This is probably spurred by some well-meaning friends who were worried that I was sharing private details of my life online and would therefore be tracked down and harrassed by some pervert. I wondered if maybe they were right. Maybe I shouldn't be doing this! I started thinking about why I blog and what I have learned over these past 5 months. Here is what I have come up with:

---It is my journal. I have tried to keep a regular journal for YEARS but haven't been able to do so. The last entry is May 6, 2004. It is about 2 paragraphs long and not only is it extremely boring, it is not finished. Having an "audience" waiting for me to make my next entry makes me accountable. Plus I save my blog on the computer and I am planning to print it out and put it in a book for my kids. I would have NEVER written so consistently or so detailed if I didn't blog. I'm excited for my kids to get older and read it. I want them to know who "Mom" really was while they were growing up.

---It is my creative outlet. Sometimes I feel that being a stay-at-home mom has turned my mind into mush. When I finished writing my first "real" blog I was AMAZED at how I felt. It was like I actually used the creative part of my brain. I had to THINK about things instead of just DO things. I had to use real English, remember all the parts of speech and how to write. (I still have issues with that, haha) I had not written anything for so long and it was nice to get back into it. I was giddy with excitement and couldn't wait to write the next one. It was love at first blog, haha.

---It is MINE. It's MY blog, not my husband's, my kids' or anyone else's. A place where I can go to be me, write about what I want and the way I feel about things. I have discovered so much about myself through blogging. What I like, what I don't like. I never realized that I could be witty. That was a nice realization. It makes me feel good to know that people occasionally smile when they read my stuff. I like making people happy, even if it just for a few moments. (Jeez, I'm such a friggin' people pleaser)

---It is a way to share our lives with my friends and family. Lotsa people have told me how much they enjoy reading it because they feel like they actually know what is going on in our lives. Most of our family and a lot of our friends live far away and I am sure it is a lot more enjoyable for them to read than it would be for them to listen to my jabbering on the phone. In real life I am constantly forgetting punchlines and trailing off midsentence. No one likes that!


There would be so much I would miss if I stopped blogging. I would miss the writing, I would miss reading your comments, I would miss visiting other blogs, I would miss thinking, "Oooh, that is SO bloggable!" whenever a good idea came along. Pretty much I would find a corner, curl up in a little ball and start a rockin'. Blogging is truly something that I look forward to every day. Something that makes me so happy cannot be a bad thing.

The internet has definitely changed the face of the world. I'm convinced though that it is a good thing, and that the good parts of it outweigh the bad. Yes, there are psychos, creeps and all things weird but there are also nice, good, decent people just like me. Because of that, I'm not going to stop the Blog Train anytime soon.

Blog on, people. BLOG ON.

17 comments:

Missy said...

Yay!! I am glad you are here to stay. The blog world just wouldn't be the same. :)

scraphappymama said...

Love it. My sentiments exactly. Also, how do you save your blog to your computer? I would love to do the same and print it out . . . one day when I have time. LOL.

Brooke said...

If you could only see my bobbing head as I agree to everything you just said.

Blog on, dude.

Gabriela said...

I was reading your post thinking, "ditto, ditto, ditto". So much more interesting than my journal! And it's mine, all mine! :)

Valarie said...

add me to the list who are glad you blog. I'd say that I agree with your sentiments, but your blog is so much more interesting.

Vanessa said...

I love your blog. I can always count on you for a laugh.

Keep on blogging. I know I will for all the same reasons you describe.

Blackeyedsue said...

I am glad you aren't getting of this crazy blog train. I have had a few people tell me the same thing. Too bad for them.

Everytime we eat at my moms she asks me "Do you REALLY know any of these people?" OOOOOHHH...SCARY!

Alicia said...

HEY. How did you get in my head and write down everything I was thinking!?

It's blogerific.

Lei said...

I blog for all the same reasons, Emily!

Lei said...

And, might I add - that as I began reading your post, I thought - "Oh no, she's not going to tell us it is time to take a break, is she?"

Katy said...

I was actually going to ask if you could blog more often, please?? 2-3 times per week isn't enough for me!

Rachelle said...

Amen sista. Blog on.

Nettie said...

I have been thinking alot about this same topic, and completely agree. Keep on bloggin, cause we'd miss you if you stopped!

Nicole said...

I totally agree, I love your blog, and would feel lost without you. Besides (now remember I'm a social worker by trade, and have come in contact with some scary people) I am one of the most paranoid mommies there is and I blog, because honestly people this is the internet if there is some pervert out there surfing the net like we are all afraid of...I bet there are places much more "interesting" to him than our little blogs. Anyone that tells you different has watched too much "Law & Order."

Amber said...

BIG FAT DITTO! Did you hear that up in Idaho? I agree on every point.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree!! Great post!!

Karla said...

Thats great. I've been trying to compose a post similar to this but you said it much better than I could.