Thursday, January 26, 2006

So I guess I'm a Mom.

Well duh. I knew I was a mom when I carried two children for a total of 16 1/2 months. (the first was 6 weeks early) But I'm talking about the stereotypical mom with the 2.5 kids, the house in the suburbs, the Mom Haircut, the too-big diaper bag, the double jogging stroller, and the minivan. Oh, and don't forget the Mom Jeans.

Out of that list I have most of those things. I have 2 kids, but no .5. Hopefully that won't occur for a long long time. If you talk to my husband it will NEVER occur, but don't you worry your pretty little head about that. I will gradually break him down. I have the house in the suburbs. I am not sure what a Mom Haircut is but I think I may have that too. Do I? Be honest now. My diaper bag? Too darn big. Ask my mother. She told me so just last week.


And it was while I was pushing my double jogging stroller for the first time that it hit me. Oh my gosh, I have TWO kids. We are a family of
FOUR. This is my life now, cleaning up spilled juice and vacuuming up goldfish crackers, each of which have been carefully placed on the carpet then pounded with the Pound-A Ball Hammer by my two-year-old. I had to go home and lie down. (Lay down? I never know these things)

You know what though? I like it. Sure there are times when Greg gets the "WHEN ARE YOU COMING HOME?" call early in the day (10:23 am) but most the time I enjoy being home with the kids. I actually enjoy mopping the floor. I don't mind doing laundry. (It's the folding/putting away part I'm not too fond of) I like kissing owies and giving reassuring hugs all day long. I like being their soft place to fall. I hope I can always be the one to do it.

The two things on the list that I do not have: A Minivan* and Mom Jeans.

Minivan. The word spills from my mouth much like I would say "Septic Tank Leak" or "Festering Boil". There is some rebellious streak in me that deep down screams "NO WAY, GIRL. NEVER! DON'T DO IT!" I know that when I reach the point of Minivan-Wanting that I will have completely and totally succumbed to Momdom. l have given a solemn vow to my friends that I will never own one. They all laugh at me and tell me not to fight it. That I will have to give in eventually. But they do not understand the level of hatred I have for the things with their sensible Stow and Go Seating and their Captain's Chairs. It runs deep, very very deep. I will stick with my Soccer Mom SUV and that will be "Mommy" enough for me.

And the Mom Jean thing? I'm not even going to go there.

So my life as a mom. The messes never end. My house is never clean, the laundry is never done and the pile of books I have been meaning to read is now reached towering proportions. (Note to self: Unpile the books before A decides to topple them and place goldfish crackers between the pages of books that are NOT yours.) But I love it and I love my kids. I have a good life. I am blessed.


*My sincerest apologies for all those who own minivans and love them. I do not understand you, but respect your choice. Well, kind of respect your choice.

12 comments:

MusicalMom said...

Aw, come on! Minivans aren't so bad. They're heavenly when you have three kids. ;)

Alicia said...

It's kind of like when some men are so homophobic you wonder if they are secretly gay. I think Em secretly wants a minivan.

Lei said...

Continue to fight it, Em! I love your blog (we're twinkies)!

emlouisa said...

ROFL, Alicia. Yeah, right. ;)

Rachelle said...

I am so in love with your blog! And I plan on getting a Minivan this summer. *blush*

ShelahBooksIt said...

I love this post!!! You are such a wonderfully talented writer.

And I agree with constant gardener, on a subconscious level, you want a minivan. You know, there's a very fine line between love and hate.

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

I was like you too, until I skipped right past 2.5 and went straight to 5. I cried the day dh bought my van. It was honestly SO traumatic. I was too young and way too cool. I feel you, and will admit, I caved...

Andrea said...

We can only have 3 kids for this same reason. Dh refuses to get a bigger car. Great blog btw!

Anonymous said...

i **HEART** my minivan. good luck getting three kids in carseats into your soccer mom SUV.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the minivan hatred. Maybe this is something instilled in us in our younger days. I hate to say it but I don't know how long you can fight it. I just got one kid home and have the prospect of two more on the way and KNOW that we will be getting a minivan despite DH and I both hating it and fighting it. The things we do for our families. Yup your definately a mom.

Anonymous said...

Emily Louisa I am with you on this one. Minivans....why? I have a SUV and plan on having it for years to come. I can get 5 kids in that thing, not that i'm crazy enough to have 5 kids. (my apologizes if you have 5 kids, good for you.) I would put a stop to having kids if I had to drive one of those...THINGS.

Goslyn said...

Oh, never say never, Emily. I never thought I would drive a minivan either ... but here I am.

And I LOVE it. Hold out as long as you can, but you will be assimilated! LOL.