Monday, January 30, 2006

Simple Pleasures: When dh gets home

One of my very favorite things is when Greg comes home from work. Not just because it means I get help with the kids but because of the sheer joy it invokes.

A, M and I are playing in the family room and the sudden we hear the garage door go up. A looks at me, alarmed, "Da-ta. Da-ta!" (Which means Daddy for those who are not well versed in the language of my two year old) I say, "Yeah, looks like Daddy is home! Go get him!" He runs to the door that leads to the garage and waits impatiently. If Daddy doesn't come in right away he knocks on the door and yells, "Daaaaaaaa-taaaaaaaaa!!!! Daaaaataaaaaa!" He tries to open it, but can't. (Hooray for that..any day now he'll figure it out and we'll be in trouble) Greg opens the door and announces his arrival, "Hellooooooooo!!!!" At this point A is jumping up and down and running all around in circles all the while yelling, "Da-ta!! Da-ta!" He runs to me and points to him, wants me to make sure I know that Dad is home. "Yay! Dad is home," I say.

Greg picks him up, gives him kisses and tickles. A laughs and laughs, acts like he is trying to get away but doesn't quite do it. M, who is six months, sits back and observes with an admiring smile. Dh looks at him and smiles and gives him a tickle too. Smiles turn into fits of laughter. He reaches over and gives me a quick kiss on the lips. Soon we are all smiling and laughing and everything bad that happened that day just disappears.

I love Greg. He is a great dad and a great husband. My best friend in the world. I couldn't ask for a better person to spend the rest of my life with.

6 comments:

Rachelle said...

Awesome post! And I just love that tender picture. LOVE IT! Can't wait till Camden gets older and can do that sort of thing.

Anonymous said...

melt in your mouth sticky sweet.

Andrea said...

Ethan does the exact same thing!! As soon as he hears the car he looks shocked and says 'dadda!!!!'
Love your post!

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

Awww, so sweet! Cute picture.

Alicia said...

I just love it when both of my little ones run to the door in the evenings! 1. because it's cute. 2. because they rae no longer running to me.

Anonymous said...

"I'm so glad when daddy gets home, glad as I can be...."

I am glad when he gets home then he can entertain the kids.

Cute pic of A and G.