Tuesday, January 31, 2006

And the Mother of the Year Award Goes To....

ME!!! Not that I'm proud.

This morning the kids were driving me nuts. M is teething and for the past two nights has been up at least once an hour. A has some sort of strange sickness that involves a low grade fever and extreme whining. He apparently has become incapable of doing anything on his own including walking, playing and even watching Dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegoooooooo!!!!!!!! Usually I have patience for this type of thing but Whiny Kid + Teething Kid + No Sleep = One Grumpy Mom. I am exhausted and actually cried when dh went to work this morning.

So after an extremely long morning I decide that it would be best if we ventured out of the house, even if it is for a few minutes. The automatic car wash doesn't involve getting out of the car and since we were all still in our pajamas I decided that seemed like the best place to go. Plus if the car wash attendant is there we will get Tootsie Pops. Six dollars for a car wash and free Tootsie Pops, what more could you ask for?

A is all excited about going to the car wash until I put him in his carseat, then screams the whole way there because he wants to watch a dvd. (I don't let him--the car wash is like, a mile away) There are two cars ahead of us and we wait. He is still screaming. The car wash attendant brings us both Tootsie Pops and tears turn to slurps of joy. M is happily chewing on a blanket. We move forward. The car wash starts.

I am enjoying my cherry flavored Tootsie and watching the water hit the car when all of the sudden M is hollering like someone threw a bucket of cold water on his head. I turn and look and realize that, in fact, a bucket of cold water IS being thrown on his head. Water is gushing through the window right at him. I throw A's coat over him and he continues to cry. Water is still coming down everywhere. I finally realize that I need to actually close the window and I do.

The car wash gets over and I pull over to assess the damage. The window was only open a teeny tiny amount but it was enough to get everything wet. M is soaked, his carseat is soaked, the entire backseat is soaked. He is livid and lets me know. My poor baby. Not only is he getting teeth (which cannot be comfortable) but he is trying to figure out why on earth he was just doused with frigid water in the middle of January. We got home and I tried to nurse him to sleep. He was so upset that he would pull off, give me the "angry cry" and then get back on. Finally he gave up and went to sleep.

Yeah, I am the Mother of the Year. May tomorrow be a better day.

19 comments:

smart mama said...

motherhood would be so boring without days like that-- where is your sense of adventure?(still in pjs at 6 pm)

Andrea said...

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lei said...

Oh, Emily! This will be a GREAT story to tell his fiancee :).

Amy Pennington said...

You are hilarious to read
Ames

Rachelle said...

LOL! Oh my goodness! Poor M. And poor you! I hope you get some sleep soon!

Alicia said...

Poor, poor M. Maybe A is teething too? Sounds like it!

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

HAHAHA!!! I love it. Way to go Mom.;)

Misty said...

lol! Poor little guy. And I love the detach + angry cry. I get that from Gabe sometimes too.

Anonymous said...

Emily Louisa!!That's my grandson you doused!! Be careful with him. Mom

Anonymous said...

HA! If I could only tell you how many days like this I have had recently... My favorite part is when you get that aren't you supposed to know what you are doing look. Mason does the ame thing with his bottle that M did with the angry look.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I sure do miss you! Keep up the good work, Mom!

Michelle

Nicole said...

Em...you made me really laugh out loud! So glad you sent me the link.

Anonymous said...

I just cracked up in the middle of the library! I couldn't help it!
love, sam

Lee said...

LOL motherhood keeps up on our toes huh? You crack me up!

Mr. Mom said...

Hey, look at it this way you got them out of the house, washed their clothes and bathed them all at one time! Way to multitask! LOL

Mr. Mom said...

Hey look at it this way...You got them out of the house, washed their clothes and bathed them all in one trip! Way to multitask! LOL

Anonymous said...

Emily emily emily

So glad to know that the crazy kid world I live in also exists for others. And the great mom award... I think I deserve atleast an honorable mention for the time I kicked A (2 at the time) right in the forehead while doing Tae-bo. If my children survive to adulthood without needing serious therapy, it will be a miracle.

Anonymous said...

I too have had the experience of having the window down during the carwash. Not funny at the moment, but it's hilarious after it's all over. Hang in there. It has to get better...right? I hope so.

MusicalMom said...

That's just priceless!!!