Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Six Weird Things You May Not Know About Me

Alternative title: "Why I Am In Desperate Need of Therapy".

I was tagged by Sunny, a Desperate Housewife in need of a nap. I need one too Sunny. I stayed out way too late last night talking to friends, one of whom was Alicia, who made sure that I knew she was only 26, NOT 27 as I had previously thought. My mistake and my apologies, Alicia. But can you blame me for thinking you were older? After all, pre-plucking you did have four gray hairs.

Okay, on with the show. Six weird things about me.

---I hate the smell of maple syrup. It is okay while you are eating it, but that lingering syrup smell HAS to go. As soon as we finish eating I rush to wash all the dishes. (read: throw them in the dishwasher and turn it on) Aidan has had syrup maybe twice in his life, because I require that he bathes after he eats something with syrup so that he doesn't stink all day. This is a deep-seeded issue from my childhood. Growing up my mom made us pancakes for breakfast nearly every day. Sweet, eh? But in junior high someone told me that I always smelled like syrup and that was IT for me. From then on if we had pancakes I ate them with butter, cinnamon and sugar. No more syrup smell emanating from me! I know. I have issues.

---I wash my hands SEVERAL times every day. I wash them after going outside, even if it is just walking out on my front porch. If I touch an animal, I wash them. Actually, if I am AROUND an animal, not even touching it I have to wash my hands. My hands crack and bleed in the wintertime. I cannot keep lotion on them because I wash them so much.

---Every song is my favorite song. Okay, not EVERY song, but if I hear one that I really like I will tell Greg that it is my favorite. Actually, I have started saying ONE of my favorites because he cruelly mocks me about having so many. But there are so many good ones, how can I choose just one! That's like asking me to choose which one of my kids I like better. I can't answer that truthfully because really, it just depends on the day. (or time of day, haha)

---All the cans in our pantry have to be facing forward. Same with the fridge. I hate when Greg helps me put groceries away because I end up redoing it all and then he is bitter. It is a double standard because my pantry has to look perfect, but my computer desk looks like this:


Note the ignored "Inbox" on the shelf. This desk is where things go to die.

And, for dramatic effect, this is what Greg's computer desk looks like:

And he didn't just clean up. It always looks like this, right down to the diet soda can on the left. I do not know why I can't keep mine clean. I enjoy when it is clean. I feel better when it is clean. It's just a lot of work to actually keep it that way.

---I can go from zero to starving in .2 seconds. I will be a feeling fine, no hunger pains at all and then BAM. I'm dying of starvation. I feel weak and sick. I can no longer face the day until I have a little food in me and I have to replenish myself right then. If not I am as cranky as the day is long. And in the summer, the days are long. Greg LOVES this about me, especially when we are at a place where eating is not an option. (Like stuck on the freeway with nary a munchy)

---I rub my feet when I am relaxed. I either rub them together or rub them ON something, like the person next to me. My little brother refuses to watch movies with me for this very reason. Greg tolerates it because we are married and well, he has to. I rub them together so much in fact that I have worn through two pairs of nice sheets in the past year. Knowing that I would most likely be needing to buy sheets again soon since I have a "problem" I tried to buy a lesser expensive set last time. This will never happen again. The sheets are too big for the bed, they bunch up. And don't even get me started on the pilling. I feel like I am sleeping on a bed of cracker crumbs and gravel. I cannot justify buying another set though until this one is completely destroyed, so whenever I remember I do double-time on the feet-rubbing. Hopefully I will wear them out soon.

So there you go, 6 weird things. Hopefully you don't think I'm too big of a freak.

I wanna know what 6 weird things these people do.

My Big Seester. When do I get to see you next?

Lee, the EQ (Exercise Queen--I hear you can put us all to shame)

Zoe. Any Friend of Lei's is a Friend of Mine!

Taffi. Who couldn't love someone that was named Taffi!

10 comments:

Lei said...

Okay, the syrup thing REALLY troubles me, Emily! J/k - but I love that Drew always smells like it, lol. My little waffle boy.

And I am completely rofl at your last one. I will never sit next to you on a sofa, lol.

;)

Stacy said...

I had a friend growing up who's "toots" smelled like maple syrup!

I have never worn through sheets before, but I also like to rub my feet on things.......

Rachelle said...

I do the feet rub thing too, but I've never worn through the sheets. The maple syrup one makes me laugh.

ShelahBooksIt said...

I do the feet rubbing thing too and I hate the smell of syrup. We must be long-lost sisters!

Blackeyedsue said...

I am ROLLING!!! You are so cute!!! I totally relate to the desk/pantry double standard. EVERYTHING ends up on my desk. As I am sitting here, I noticed that my dh's socks are sitting on my mouse pad. EWWW.

It sounds like the foot rubbing thing is universal. I do it too.

Andrea said...

My dh wore through one of our sheets! It was our only blue one too..that matched my nice blue covers. Oh and my computer desk is waaaaaay messier then yours! lol

Anonymous said...

Did I raise an obsessive compulsive? Did I mar you for life with the syrup? You really should still use lotion--no matter how many times you wash your hands--then they won't be like mine. I seem to recall being told numerous times that mine were 'scratchy'. You crack me up.

smart mama said...

love the desk shots~ so true

Alicia said...

Foot rubber here too. However Em wins b/c I don't think I could ever wear through sheets!

I'll remember to never bring my kids over after they've had syrup!

Anonymous said...

I am the same way with my hands. I have to wash them all the time. They crack and bleed too. My brother-in-law thinks that is the funniest thing...that your hands would actually crack!! He only thinks it is funny because his don't do it. It hurts!! I can't keep lotion on mine either. I need to have bottles around the house so I remember to put some on.