Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Do You Know Where I Can Score Me Some Tiny Mice?

Ah, finally. A moment magically made just for blogging. Actually, it's only a magical moment made for blogging because I want it to be. I've got 4 loads of laundry to fold and a kitchen to clean. But, the kids are asleep so I'm gonna take advantage of the quiet.

I've been pretty busy as of late. I am not sure why I am so busy, exactly. Lots of Young Women meetings this week, so nights are out. Naptime has been spent doing Young Women things too. So maybe I DO know why I'm so busy. It's that new calling thing. So far I'm enjoying it, it's just cuts into my free time (read: blogging time) Hopefully things will slow down in the next week or so and I can go back to being a lazy cuss.

I told you in this post that I was excited to tell you about what I did last weekend. Are you ready? Are you sure? Because I built it up so nicely I'm sure you think it is something spectacufabulous and it probably is not. At least, not for you. It was for me.

This weekend I gardened. Well, I kind of gardened. I put some plants in pots. Does that count as gardening? I hope so because I SO want to be a gardener. It is my new favorite thing. I don't know very much about it though. I figure if I keep learning about it little by little soon by the end of my life I will be One with the Ways of the Earth. You think?

I learned some things this weekend though. The most important being that you should err on the side of caution when you are deciding how many flowers to buy. If not, the two pots you were planning to fill will multiply into this many:



You will then run out of pots and will have to resort to sticking them in the ground like this:


And yes, I realize that they don't look fabulous right now, but they will, my impatient friend. A little water, a little fertilizer, a little sun, a little time.

Also, I went to a local nursery to find out what I could put in my hanging baskets on my shady front porch. (shady in the way of not sunny, not shady in the way of drug dealers and pimps, just so we are clear) The Nursery Dude gave me lots of good ideas and even reminded me to bring the tender vines in if the weather drops below 40 degrees. Who knew? He also showed me "Tiny Mice", flowers that look like baby mouse heads. Of COURSE I had to get them. They were so cute and little!

I am so so so so excited to see the hanging baskets grow this year. They look so cute on my front porch, and they will look even cuter when they are a cascading bounty of foliage. I always buy the wrong kinds of flowers for the porch and they always die. But this year being my year and everything, that's not going to happen. (Sorry for the not-so-quality picture below. It's definitely not a closeup. I'll save the closeups for when the plants actually start growing.)

So I had a busy Saturday. I planted lots of things and made this lovely spray out of a couple wayward branches in my backyard. Purdy, eh? Smells good too.

So there you have it, my cute baskets and cute pots, my cute spray of fragrant blossoms. It's amazing that something so simple can make me so happy. I love to go sit on our back patio, surrounded by my 4,000 pots of marigolds and alyssum. It feels homey. And this year, I will keep them alive.

I, Emily, solemnly swear in front of my fellow bloggers and everyone else that I will take care of my container plants. I will fertilize. I will rotate. I will not skip a day of watering just because I don't feel like it. If it is really hot, I will even water them twice a day so the poor plants will not die on me like in years past. I will.

What are you smirking for? I WILL!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally noticed all your pots out front and your spray of branches on your table today. I was going to tell you how pretty they were! I love gardening too, great job!

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

I love how gardens look, I love beautiful pots with blooming flowers. I just don't have them at my house... Waaah!!! I just can't keep them alive, either I kill them with neglect or I kill them with my 5 small people who pull them up...Looks great!!! Good for you!!! And by the way... you would be such a FUN YW person.

Stacy said...

My dh is the gardener at our house. But I sure can appreciate the beauty of gorgeous "home grown" flowers!

Alicia said...

I'm going to hold you to it, Em! It all looks great. Your porch is perfect for those hanging baskets---it looks so...Bree (she's the new Martha Stewart, don't ya know.)

Alicia

Vanessa said...

I love gardening, and you, my friend, are on the way to being sucked into gardening and its varied and beautiful world. When fall comes and you've enjoyed an entire season of flowers and dirt, and you'll be sad to put your garden to bed---then you'll know you're hooked.

Rachelle said...

You almost inspired me to start gardening. Almost. Not quite. But your flowers look really good! I want a close up of the mouse heads!

Nettie said...

I love spring planting! Your pots look great, too. Waiting for the floral glory can be so hard, though. May it rain often on your pots so you have to water less! (PS. I'm in YW, too. Tons of time, but fun. Any great activity ideas?)

smart mama said...

oh i am bad- i often abandon my plantings to the harsh elements-- and dh is not a faithful friend of plants

Lei said...

I absolutely love "gardening" too. My back porch is fll of fun potted plants right now and it is such a joy to sit at our kitchen table and look out the window.

Hey, so maybe we can check in with one another and make sure we are not killing off the beauty of the earth. Sound good?

;)

Andrea said...

Well done! I love marigolds.

Anonymous said...

Great pots!!! I did the same thing this last Saturday. What fun to play in the dirt. Loved your porch!!

Valarie said...

good work! They'd die for sure at my house.

Kristen said...

So, pretty. And I'm envious. I've always had a desire to have a beautiful garden, and beautiful flowers all over the place, but alas, I am slightly gardening-challenged. Big time. I think I might try to make it my year, this year too. Thanks for inspiring me!!

lackrik said...

Your porch is so CUTE! Amazing the difference a little color from flowers can make!

Great job.

Jane said...

Love it Em!
I love gardening, something about it just soothes the soul.

Your plants are going to be beautiful in full bloom.