Wednesday, April 12, 2006

In A Perfect World There Would Be Singing All The Time.

There really would. Like a musical. Or the Wonderpets. "The Phone. The Phone is ringing. The Phooooone!!!!! We'll be right there! There's an animal in trouble. There's an animal in trouble!....."

Ahem. Sorry. That song really gets stuck in my head. I hated that show at first. But now? Love it. How cute is the singing? LOVE it.

Okay, back to my original thought. Singing. We should do it more. My younger siblings used to sing with me all the time. I would say, "Heeeeello Aaaaandyyyyyy (or Samaaaannnntha)...How are you doooing??" in song and one of them would return with, "Hey Sister Emaleee! I'm goooood! And YOOOOOOU????" We would drive everyone crazy. It was awesome.

We haven't done it for a while now. Mostly because my brother is in South Africa on a mission and my little sister is busy not feeding bald eagles in Alaska. (it is against the law, you know.) Also because we are semi-grown up. When they comes back though I am SO going to sing with them. Even if they don't want to. It will be a Sing Along Extravaganza. We may even choreograph. I can't wait.

We do a lot of singing at our house. It is rare that someone is NOT singing, actually. We have songs for specific things. We sing the Blue's Clues "Mail" song when we go to the mailbox. When it rains we sing "Rain Is Falling". We sing made up songs, like the "Leaving the House" song.

Leaving the House song (to the tune of The Farmer in the Dell. Don't ask me why the Farmer is in a computer, let alone a DELL. I have no idea.)

"We're going on a trip,
We're going on a trip!
A-boy smiles just for Mom
We're going on a trip!"

I could not have been more proud the first time I told A-boy that we needed to get ready to leave and he belted out, "Going on a Trit! Going on a Trit!..." Aww. How sweet is that?

My boys each have their own song that I sing to them numerous times a day. I made them up when they were tiny, during long and arduous nursing sessions.

A-boy's Song (To the tune of the Oscar Meyer B-O-L-O-G-N-A song)

My Baby has a first name
It's (spell out his first name)
My Baby has a second name
It's (our last name)

He smiles and takes your blues away
And that is why I'm here to SAY...
You can look for babies night and day
And not find one like A-boy Ray.

Perhaps a bit cheesy, but A-Boy loves his song. Mini-Man has a song too.

Mini-Man's song (to the chorus of Jingle Bells)

Mini Man! Mini Man!
You're my favorite guy!
Don't you know I love you so
There's lots of reasons why!

Mini Man! Mini Man!
Your smile is Oh So Bright!
But one thing I would like to know--
WHEN WILL YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT?

I sing this song to Mini-Man often. He smirks at that last line. Maybe I should quit asking him so he thinks I don't care. A little reverse psychology.

My parents both love music and listened to all kinds when I was growing up. It was rare that the stereo wasn't on. Some of my favorite memories are being in the car with my family, singing our hearts out on a road trip. We would even choose parts so we could harmonize. (California Dreamin', anyone? I played a mean air flute.) I remember my dad playing the guitar on Christmas eve, while my mom sang "Blue Bayou". And you couldn't forget "Little Bunny Foo Foo". That was a family tradition! Not too Christmasey, but still a tradition.

My parents instilled their love for all kinds of music in me. Music is a huge part of my life, the stereo is always on at my house too. Hopefully my kids will learn to love all kinds, just like I do. I could only be that lucky.

And just so you are aware, even though I sing all of the time, my voice is not at all spectacular. You don't have to sound wonderful to sing. You just have to have the enthusiasm. At least that's what I keep telling myself. Viva la musica! (or something like that...I haven't spoken Spanish since high school.)

On a sidenote, I will be gone to the inlaws from Thursday to Sunday. No blogging for me, not that I won't be pining for it. I shall return with a dazzling tale about something, I am sure. So tune in on Monday.

Also, my Big Sister Lori has jumped on the Blogging Train. Check it out here. Tell her Em sent ya. Also give her a hard time for having posters of Kirk Cameron on her wall when we were younger. Hot-tay! (I wasn't going to post the pic, but I HAD to. Check out his mustard-and-ketchup outfit! Woot Woo!)

Happy Easter everyone! Have a spectacufabulous weekend! (Yes, I made up that word. Join the craze and start using it.)

18 comments:

Jane said...

You make me Laugh Emily!!

From one singing family to another, I loved your post. The thing I miss most about my boy being on his mission is all of the singing he use to do around the house. I do have a couple of CDs of him singing a few songs, I listened to it the other day with out crying! LOL

Have a happy easter.

Andrea said...

You sound like you must have a very fun household!! My dh makes up songs about anything but i'm not that smart ;)

sheri said...

You're such a fun mom!
And have I ever told you about my obsession over Kirk Cameron during my teenage years?

Anonymous said...

We sing here all the time too! We make up our own words and boy does it get crazy! Happy Easter, I will miss reading your blog this weekend, so hurry back!!

scraphappymama said...

Hilarious!! I wish I had half your creativity. I too grew up in a musical home, but I confess the lack of a spectacular voice has stifled my singing more to my children. I here now repent and will sing more. Thanks for the inspiration.

Lee said...

Emily, you are so hilarious! We like to sing a lot at our house, makes life so much better!!!

smart mama said...

too funny i make up songs too for my boys but not brave enough to pot them on my blog- plus they need adam sandler to sing them operaman style for true justice

Alicia said...

Thanks for the reminder to sing more. My life used to revolve around singing and music and I somehow lost that along the way.

Why is "Here Comes Peter Cottontail..." the only song I can think of at th emoment?

Lei said...

yer so stinkin' cute! ditto les, not all that secure with the songs i make up...

hey, i may be a musician, but not a lyricist! lol!

Kathryn Thompson said...

I was IN love with Kirk Cameron. Thanks for the memories.

Vanessa said...

You are so funny. I love this post. I totally agree (maybe I should be singing more myself...)

lackrik said...

LOL! Good to see someone else makes up songs for their kids...not just us. ;)

Happy Easter!

Nettie said...

Cute Lyrics! What a fun mom you are! We always sing the toothbrushing song by Raffi. Music just make life more pleasant.

Meemer said...

yeah, I'm a singer too. a not so good shower, driving, cleaning house kind of singer. Yup, but my boys have picked it up too. Drives big d bonkers.

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

Hello, Emily!!!! Hope you have a spectacular easter too!!!! And I used to heart Kirk Cameron until he turned all "religion channel" on me. (Read that in your best sing-song voice...and now I must go, it is KARAOKE time!!!!)

Unknown said...

LOVE the singing! Really! My parents were really into music as well and i love to have it on always! my dh is so great at making up the funniest on the spot little jingles that make us all laugh so hard. I really think that singnig can really brighten your home! keep it up Em!

Anonymous said...

Remember the time you and your friend Amber sang "Locomotion" in the town talent show? AND herding turkeys to Huey Lewis? I am glad that you all like music and that I had a hand in it.

Heather said...

Emily, you're so awesome!!!