Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Home Again, Home Again Jiggity Jig.

Well, I survived my Day Without Children with resounding success and they seemed to have survived without me as well. Good thing too since I was in desperate need of some alone time. By the time I made it to the cabin I was missing them, always a good thing.

I mentioned in my earlier post that we were going to be staying in an extremely rustic mountain cabin. Rustic it is. We had to wash all the dishes BY HAND. The garbage disposal? There is NOT ONE. Can you believe it? Every time I did the dishes I had to go dump the floaties in the garbage. Do you know how hard it is to remember to scrape your plate BEFORE placing it in the sink? Apparently it is very hard because no one did it. Not even me.

As if that weren't primitive enough, we also had to deal with what I will refer to as the "Internet Issue". Ping, Pong....shhhhhhhhh....click click. Dial-up, baby! I watched with interest as my computer geek husband "logged on". I was still watching 15 minutes later when he was still trying to load the home page. I didn't even TRY to get on. Too much dang frustration for vacation. Well, that and my sister-in-law mockingly told me that I would cave by Monday and I'd be "surfing" before the week was up. NOT SO, girlfriend. I didn't even make an attempt, even though it was KILLING me to know if Lei had her baby or not. Take THAT, Camille. And Congrats, Lei!

Anyway, the cabin. We like it, in all it's rustic glory. Neither of us are campers and it is so nice to be able to enjoy the great outdoors yet be able to sleep inside and shower our stench off in the morning. This week though we slept in the unfinished basement of the cabin and believe this most definitely qualifies as camping, since we were cold, wet and uncomfortable most nights. Plus there was the critters factor. Who is to say that while sleeping on the cold, damp cement floor of the basement a critter isn't going to try to gnaw off my toes for a midnight snack? It was camping, people. It was most definitely camping.

I have much more exciting things to share with you about our trip and I shall do that tomorrow. It is quite late here and I am in dire need of some shut-eye. Plus if I wrote everything I wanted to in one post it would quite possibly be the longest post in the history of the world, then Greg would complain. So stay tuned to see how my nephew caused me to spout curse words, also to see how I look at 10:30pm after a long hard day of...hanging out.

11 comments:

Amber said...

eh, ALMOST camping sweetie. ;) Good job though- good job.

Anonymous said...

Yay, you survived!!! Welcome back, we missed you.

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Yay! You're back!

Valarie said...

that's more than camping. I'm totally into camping and that description even gave me the creepy crawlies. Welcome back.

QueenMeadow said...

I have to do dishes by hand, daily :P but I do have a garbage disposal, hehe.

Glad you survived your almost camping experience :)

Alicia said...

Ya, that almost sounds worse than camping! I'd rather sleep in a tent!

I'm so glad yer back! I missed ya!

When can we play? Little sister keeps asking about A-boy every time we go to the park!

ShelahBooksIt said...

So glad you're back. That sounds like my kind of camping!

Missy said...

To me that is worse than camping cause basement creep me out!! Tents do not. I am glad you came back safe and sound. I am looking forward to you next posts, particularly with your teasers!

Lee said...

Hooray you are back!
Not having a garbage disposal, awful!! We lived in our ghetto rental like 18 months ago for 4 months without one. AWFUL!
Glad you survived!!

Nettie said...

Glad you're back. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

Blackeyedsue said...

Yeah, I think it would be akin to the dark ages if I ever had to go without a garbage disposal. I am glad you survived.

Personally, my type of camping is in a five-star hotel.