Monday, July 17, 2006

Lists Lists and More Lists.

That's what I've been about lately. I am looking at my desk and here are the lists I see laying (lying?) around.

A shopping list
A list of people to invite to Mason's 1st Birthday Party
A list of things to do today
A list of things to do before camp
A list of things to take to camp
A list of girl's names that are GOING to camp.

So I'm all about the list thang, baby. And I am particular with my lists. If I end up coming back later and use a different kind of pen on my list it throws the whole thing off. It not only looks wrong, it doesn't look neat and tidy. And I like my lists to be neat and tidy. I also hate when other people write on my lists. Greg doesn't know this, but I get a small twitch in my eye every time he writes something on the shopping list because it is NOT my handwriting. It just doesn't flow! And it is nothing against his handwriting. I just feel the list should either be MY handwriting or HIS handwriting, not both. Fortunately this is not a marriage breaker upper. I just do some deep breathing exercises and resist the urge to write a NEW list. (Do you think I am crazy? This sounds really crazy.)

Anyhoo, so I have been going 90 miles an hour trying to get ready for camp. My kids have been sick and have been doing that I Want You To Sit NEAR Me But Not Hold Or Touch Me thing. You know, that thing where if you get up and walk two feet away they scream in protest, but if you pick them up they try to get away. I hate that thing. It makes it hard to do stuff. Despite all that I think I will be ready for camp tomorrow. I just have to finish cleaning my house so that my mother-in-law doesn't feel obligated to do it while I am gone.

Greg's mom will be here watching the kids all week so that should be fun for them. I am hoping that they will be good for her, even though a tiny part of me would be a little flattered if they cried and cried because they can't bear to live without me. I have a feeling that that isn't the case at all though. She will load them up on marshmallows and chocolate chip cookies. Their love for her will be eternal.

Now about this camp thing. It took a while, but I am finally excited for it. I am trying to ignore the fact that there are no showers, no running water, no flushing toilets, really stinky campfires, creepy bugs, etc. where we are going. And THIS place doesn't even have dial-up. The horror! I can't complain though, since I am a leader and have to "be upbeat" and have a "positive outlook" on things. You know, be motivational and all that crap.

So yes, there are negatives about the whole experience, but also there are some good things too. Like getting to know the girls. And getting to know the other leaders. And getting to be all spiritual and stuff. And being away from my kids for FOUR WHOLE DAYS. And not having to change any diapers for FOUR WHOLE DAYS. (Er, at least I HOPE I won't have to)

See? ALL good things. I'll let you know how it REALLY goes when I get back. Which will be Friday. But I will have company all weekend so it may be Monday before I have a chance to post again. By that time I will be old. My birthday is coming and I will be going from mid-twenties to late twenties. So far I'm okay with it, but we'll see. I still have a week to think about it.

TTFN!

15 comments:

Mall Worker said...

Your list of nasty things about camping is about the same as mine. I hate no showers or running water toilets! and the bugs, don't get me started on the bugs!

I hope you have fun and enjoy the 4 days of no diapers!!

Andrea said...

Have fun!!!

Valarie said...

have fun! I bet you'll be a great leader to have at camp.

Valarie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I hope you have a great time at camp! And your list "issues" crack me up! Have a great birthday... you old lady, you!

Katy said...

Well, when you read this, let me be the first to welcome you to the "late" twenties... it hasn't been too bad yet, but I'm not anxious about being in my "early thirties".

I hope you enjoyed the stinkin' fresh air!

Grammy said...

When I began this post, I was all anxious to say up-lifting happy things to get you all psyched for camp. Then I realized that you'd already left by the time I read it. I hope t was wonderful!

Missy said...

I am a lists lady, myself...and no you are not crazy for wanting to rewrite the whole list over because it doesn't flow. That, or there are more than one of us! LOL. I hope camp goes well, and enjoy your time away from mommy duty.

Tracie Nall said...

I actually ate at this little restaurant today and the menu's were hand written....by two different people-with different handwriting. I had to resist the urge to offer to take a copy home and make them all new menus. It drove me crazy!

sheri said...

I actually do re-write my lists if my dh adds to them, or, like you, I used a different pen. And no, I don't even mean different color. Could be the same color, but different "width" of the markings. There's got to be a place just for people like us. Oh ya, I'm pretty sure it's called Fiji.
And I bet you're an AWESOME camp leader!!!! If I lived near you, I'd go just to hang out in the wilderness with you. (but not in a creepy/stalker way)

Lei said...

Lol EMily! I hope you have a blast... I love girls camp!!!

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

Hope your having fun!!! When you get back make us a list of the fun things and lame things about camp.

sheri said...

Ya, what Linsey said.
And make the good things in blue font and the bad things in red font.

Melissa said...

Have a great time at camp! I love girls camp!!!

Kathryn Thompson said...

When I started reading that you had a list of girls names... well I started to jump to conclusions.