Friday, July 28, 2006

Things I Have Learned This Week--Birthday Edition

I know that I just blogged about stuff I learned but hey. give a girl a break. I've been really busy this week and when I haven't been busy, I've just been tired. I know, I know. I need to quit whining. But really. I've been TIRED.

Moving on now...

---My kid looks dang cute whilst covered in chocolate cake. A little gross perhaps, but still cute.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Mini-Man turned one recently and much to his father's dismay I dressed him up like a farmer before I let him properly destroy his birthday cake. He looked squeezably adorable, at least BEFORE the smearfest. Is this not the cutest little dude you have ever laid eyes upon? I
thought so.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


---The "Happy Birthday" song is...okay. But the "Happy Birthday" song on the kazoo? Seriously folks. I am a GENIOUS for thinking that up. This may go down in history as the best "Happy Birthday" rendition ever. EVER. Note the harmonizing and prepare to be amazed.



Video Hosting - Upload Video - Photo Sharing


---Birthdays are never as perfect as you envision them to be. My 27th birthday was this week. We celebrated by going out to lunch at a yummy Mexican restaurant. Mini-Man? Screamed and hurled food the entire time. It was really quite thoughtful of him. Then he took a 45 minute nap instead of his usual 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours. I'm sure it is because he didn't want me to be alone on my birthday. That or he was/is still bitter that I left him in the care of his beloved Grandma for a week while I went galavanting around without him at Girl's Camp. I tried not to cry since I really really needed a break and instead plopped him in front of Blue's Clues like the good mother I am. Then I read a book.

The eve of my birthday I was exhausted but Greg talked me in to meeting his sisters for pie in celebration of the Most Fabulous Day Ever. He said it would be "good for me". After a 45 minute delay while Greg fixed our flat tire we were off. This time it was A-Boy's turn to freak out in the restaurant. I actually left the table in the middle of dinner in an effort not to strangle the poor kid. By the time I got back there was a new seating arrangement that involved NO kids around me, which was probably best. A-Boy was busy eating handfuls of honey butter. Whatever keeps you quiet, Little Dude. We got home at 9pm. I dragged myself to bed and crashed until the next morning. Ah, birthday sleep.

---Sometimes I emphasize the negative too much. Because even though my kids acted like terrors on the Big Day other people were nice to me. Greg bought me flowers. He even got me a card which was a big deal since he thinks they are a waste of money and environmental commodoties. The Perfect Lady who now has her own blog, by the way, made me this delicious cake. My friends bought me Baskin Robbins Pralines and Cream ice cream and some bright pink flip flops. My visiting teacher? Cupcakes. A little girl I taught at church last year? A Twix bar. The Relief Society Presidency? A Crunch bar. People called from far and near to wish me a happy day and to bring me foods high in caloric content. I felt special and loved. Just not from my kids.

---You absolutely cannot eat cake for two meals a day and feel good about it. You just can't. And after you eat the cake for dinner you will never be able to justify having 3 scoops of ice cream for dessert, even if it IS your birthday. I've been on the cake and ice cream diet for about a week now and am to the point where I can actually FEEL myself getting fat. My 5k? In one week. We shall see how this goes.

So there you have it, my Week-O-Cake and other various foods that are bad for me. I still have half a cake left. Applemom (The Perfect Lady) says that birthday cake has no calories, so I'm sticking to that story. It'll be gone by Monday, mark my words.

11 comments:

Andrea said...

Mini man is so cute! Happy Birthday btw. Now your almost as old as me ;)

Brooke said...

I don't think I wished you a Happy Birthday yet. So, there you go. An idea for the leftover cake: Cover yourself in it and ask the hubs if you look as cute as Mini-Man.

emlouisa said...

Brilliant, ABC Momma!!!

Anonymous said...

ABC Momma, you are a so smart!

I'm so glad you had a great birthday. Mini man looked SO cute!

Alicia said...

Mini-Man is the cutest cake covered boy EVER. The rendition of Happy Birthday the coolest EVER. And you? The funniest OLD lady EVER (you're older than me now, so you're OLD!)

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I didn't think that kid could get any cuter, but I think he did. The kazoos were HILAIRE. Happy birthday to you, too.

Mall Worker said...

Mini man just looks so cute all covered in cake! Happy late birthday to you!

Millie said...

I like the chocolate frosting over the eye. How did he not get it IN his eye?

Happy birthday to him and you!

Lee said...

Happy Birthday Lady!

Your little man is adorable, and I love the kazoo! Cracked me up.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday. Mini-Man is such a cutie. 1st birthday's are all about the cake mess...and he did a spectacular job! One of the best i've seen yet.

momofalltrades said...

Glad you had a good day! Fun post. I am amazed by your myriad of talents!